NNTP vs. SMTP

William Ottley williamottley at gmail.com
Tue May 18 20:13:31 UTC 2010

Hello all,
I have quite the strange question, and i'm sure ppl are saying WTF?
its like apples to oranges, BUT....

I'm working on a Dot Com project, and I've been a Systems Admin for
about 15 years.
I'm looking to create a simple text transport system.

Yes I could use SMTP, but the truth is, its overkill for what I want.
The "text" that will be sent, is based upon "posts" from blogs, websites, etc.
So all these text messages won't be having attachments, mime, etc.

simple clean text, and that's it.
I'm thinking for authentication, I can implement my existing mysql
users database.

I guess in my head, since i'm only wanting simple text to be picked up
by the client, then INN would be the perfect situation.

Would anyone know where I could start with regards to stats of how
much CPU would be used for X amount of users?

I'm also looking for a good open source php nntp client...

thanks!