innd and rejects of dates

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Sep 25 23:12:15 UTC 2010

Hi Russ,

> I would reject articles with Date headers that cannot be parsed.  I don't
> see any good reason to accept those any more than we do already (we're
> already lax about what we accept).

OK.  I'll put the check on both Injection-Date: and Date: header fields.

> The purpose of requiring relaying agents to look at Injection-Date instead
> of Date was primarily to handle dates in the past, not dates in the
> future, but I don't think it will cause harm there either.  Such articles
> will be rejected by peers that don't understand Injection-Date, but that's
> why nnrpd rejects such articles so that we don't introduce bad articles.

Which means that "full" support of Date: header fields in the past
will not occur before some time!  At least, INN 2.5.3 (starting from
tomorrow's STABLE version) accepts to relay these articles.
We'll see in another version for allowing the injection.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« -- On nage dans le lac, on escalade les montagnes...
  -- Ben quoi ? Nous ne sommes pas en vacances ! » (Astérix)