innd and rejects of dates

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Sep 25 23:16:42 UTC 2010

>> The purpose of requiring relaying agents to look at Injection-Date
>> instead of Date was primarily to handle dates in the past, not dates in
>> the future, but I don't think it will cause harm there either.  Such
>> articles will be rejected by peers that don't understand
>> Injection-Date, but that's why nnrpd rejects such articles so that we
>> don't introduce bad articles.

> Which means that "full" support of Date: header fields in the past will
> not occur before some time!  At least, INN 2.5.3 (starting from
> tomorrow's STABLE version) accepts to relay these articles.  We'll see
> in another version for allowing the injection.

Yeah, that was a known issue when we wrote the standard.  Charles argued
for allowing a widely varying Date in the presence of Injection-Date from
the start, but I and others were concerned that this would cause
widespread silent disappearance of articles after initial acceptance since
almost no one had implemented Injection-Date.