signcontrol upstream?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 26 22:06:51 UTC 2011

Florian Schlichting <fschlich at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE> writes:

> If INN and pgpcontrol had different maintainers, I'd say push our
> patches "upstream" and then remove signcontrol. But then perhaps INN-SVN
> is the only place where these scripts get some love nowadays, and
> realistically they'll be sync'd from there to pgpcontrol when that
> should get an update?

In theory, I maintain pgpcontrol, and have issued a few new releases of
it.  In practice, I haven't had much time to work on it and probably won't
in the forseeable future, although I could always surprise myself.

> In that case maybe the rest of pgpcontrol should be integrated into the
> INN repository, but a usual 'make install' whould not install
> signcontrol or any of the other additions; they'd just "be there to be
> fetched and used", like the stuff in contrib/.

The reason why pgpcontrol is separate from INN is that it works with other
news server implementations as well.  I don't know if any of them are
still widely used, but that was the original intent.