signcontrol upstream?

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun Aug 28 22:21:16 UTC 2011

Hi Florian,

> I think the question is where "upstream" for signcontrol (and in a way,
> pgpverify) is, that is: what's the relation between INN and
> ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/pgpcontrol/ ?
>
> While pgpverify should be a part of every well-maintained INN setup,
> this is not the case for signcontrol at all. Hierarchy maintenance is a
> "social" task, those who get access to established hierarchy keys may
> often have been elected, and while a few might also run a news server,
> if even as a hobbyist, this is coincidental and should in no way be a
> prerequisite. (And that's true the other way round as well, as written
> in the ticket.)

I agree with your point of view.

> maybe the rest of pgpcontrol should be integrated into the
> INN repository, but a usual 'make install' whould not install
> signcontrol or any of the other additions; they'd just "be there to be
> fetched and used", like the stuff in contrib/.

What do you mean by "the rest of pgpcontrol"?

PGPKEYS and README.html are generated from control-archive:
   http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/control-archive/

I do not know whether FORMAT, README, sample.control and sign.sh are
already under a public revision control somewhere but in case they
aren't, I am unsure they should be added to INN.  Maybe control-archive
would be a better place for both pgpverify and signcontrol.  INN would
then just synchronize the latest version of pgpverify from
control-archive, the same way we currently do with control.ctl.
Wouldn't it be more coherent?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Le cercle est le plus long chemin d'un point au même point. »
   (Tom Stoppard, _Every Good Boy Deserves Favour_)