inncheck improvements (was: Re: perl_access hash value length limit?)

Florian Schlichting fschlich at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Sun Jan 23 20:03:27 UTC 2011

Hi Julien,

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 09:11:42PM +0100, Julien ÉLIE wrote:
> The long-term intention is for the new config parser in
> lib/confparse.c to be used for parsing as many INN configuration
> files as possible. It would be nice to have Perl bindings to this
> interface so that Perl utilities could also make use of it (inncheck
> would immediately benefit).

speaking of which, ever since I discovered that inncheck doesn't
actually do any kind of syntax check on incoming.conf or readers.conf,
I intended to write such a check. A few weeks ago I got around to
working on it, found out about the new parser and got an idea why it
hadn't been done before... Anyway, I ended up with something I consider
generally useful, even though one could of course always check more, and
while I meant to do some more testing of the patch series, I now think I
could as well discuss it here first.

Since I address very different aspects of inncheck, I split it up into a
series of 9 patches, roughly with diminishing usefulness... The central
one is no 5, and where I am least sure about is checking option values.

E.g. "string" is the default type for anything that's not checked, but
I've also used "path" for command lines or files/directories. Currently,
"path" is not checked, either, but I wonder if it could be done?

Similarly, the $hostblockRE regular expression used for checking
readers.conf "auth example { hosts: xxx }" values assumes that wildmat
characters will only be found in the leftmost subdomain part. This might
prove too restrictive, but I worried that making the regex very broad
(like for example $ipv6) might jeopardize its usefulness...

So, there's probably a lot that can be reconsidered, and at the same
time I'm sure it's already a lot more useful than what's there right
now.

Florian