innfeed -s option?

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun Jan 23 21:22:40 UTC 2011

Hi Florian,

> this one is more question than patch: while fixing two typos in the
> innfeed manpage

Thanks for having caught them.

> I noticed an undocumented -s option. It makes innfeed
> spawn a child subProgram given as a value to -s
>
> what's the purpose of this? Can we document it, or is it obsolete and
> should be removed?

In the source code, I read:

-s command : run the given command in a subprocess and use its output as
article information instead of running under innd

so I believe it is used if someone wants to feed the output of a
long-running script to innfeed.  It keeps running and waiting for
output.  (I think that if innfeed is directly piped, it processes the
output once and then exits.)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Prouidentia, dum ortum ante obitum ponit, sapienter fecit, sin autem
   quid uitae sit notum ? » (Alphonse Allais)