Call for inncheck testing

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Jul 9 18:20:57 UTC 2011

> “This key requires a boolean value.  It specifies whether mmaping should
> be used if innfeed has been built with mmap(2) support.  If article data
> on disk is not in NNTP-ready format (CR/LF at the end of each line),
> then after mmaping, the article is read into memory and fixed up, so
> mmaping has no positive effect (and possibly some negative effect
> depending on your system), and so in such a case this value should be
> "false", which is the default value.  This corresponds to the "-M"
> command-line option.”

> However, when innfeed is built with mmap support, the default value is
> "true".  What should we do?  Fix the documentation and say that it is
> set to "true" by default; or change the default value to "false" in the
> source code?

The value of this parameter is only used when innfeed is given file names
to send instead of storage API tokens, which is a fairly rare use case, so
it's a mostly unimportant setting at this point.  If one is feeding
innfeed file names, my guess is that it's somewhat more likely that
they'll be in native format than in wire format, so I'd be inclined to
change the default in the code to false.  For the normal case of innfeed
used via newsfeeds, this won't change anything.