sendinpaths not working

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun Jul 24 13:35:47 UTC 2011

Hi The Doctor,

Could you please investigate all these 6 issues below?

>> Now it would be interesting to know what these invalid dump files are.
>> Do you happen to have other files than inpaths ones in your<pathlog>/path
>> directory?
>
> Also noting some weird stuff that you will see in edm.news.stats / can.canet.stats

I did not know these newsgroups.  I have just had a look.

1/
ls: cannot access news.crit: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access news.err: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access news.notice: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /var/log/news/errlog: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /var/log/news/news: No such file or directory

Very strange.  It looks as though these files were deleted by sendinpaths and
that they were the reason of the invalid dump file error.
Do you really have a /var/log/news/news/path directory?  What is its contents?

> Perl filter stats: Pass: 170803 Reject: 15912 Refuse: MD5: 12918 PHL: 1460 PHN: 1382 PHR: 0 FSL: 2664 Arts/sec: 2.6

2/ (informational only)
The latest cleanfeed version (in SVN — still not officially released)
fixes the "Refuse:" issue (without a number).

> ctlinnd: Reserved "Expiring process 18217"

3/
Oh, still that issue…
Do programs get killed by some monitoring daemons in your system?

I see things like that every day in your logs:

4/
> mcount: gmon.out: Permission denied
> innd: dbzstore error /var/news/etc/history:[F7F5734EF9A62FFCE740B9A04FAD93BE]@1986579379 Interrupted system call
> innd: dbzstore duplicate message-id /var/news/etc/history:[62973011446016BBF42F00BE119E52E9]@2990274386 Undefined error: 0

Very weird things.

5/
Anyway, it seems that your installation is not coherent.
I see every day tons of unknown lines from news.notice:

Jul 20 01:00:52 gallifrey doctor[3]: innd: ctlinnd command E
Jul 20 01:00:52 gallifrey doctor[3]: innd: SERVER servermode running
Jul 20 01:00:55 gallifrey doctor[3]: innd: news.snarked.org:98 NCmode "MODE STREAM" received
Jul 20 01:01:01 gallifrey doctor[3]: innfeed[19568]: news.buerger.net:0 connected
[...]
Apr  9 01:00:51 gallifrey doctor[3]: innd: ctlinnd command E
[...]
Dec 24 01:00:47 gallifrey doctor[3]: innd: ctlinnd command E

Yet, these lines are properly understood by innreport!

Could you please first check that?

6/
I see a "Renumbering active file." message at the end of all your
daily reports.  I believe you are not using the "lowmark" keyword
to news.daily.  Is there a reason for that?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Je compte sur vous pour lessiver tous ces barbares ! » (Astérix)