Function replacements (warnings from autoscan)

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Wed Jul 27 20:42:18 UTC 2011

Hi all,

When I run autoscan on our source code, I obtain several lines like:

configure.ac: warning: missing AC_FUNC_LSTAT_FOLLOWS_SLASHED_SYMLINK wanted by: storage/tradspool/tradspool.c:1066
configure.ac: warning: missing AC_FUNC_MKTIME wanted by: lib/date.c:416

[...]

corresponding to:

        if (lstat(path, &sb) < 0) {
            free(path);
            continue;
        }

and:

        result = local ? mktime(&tm) : mktime_utc(&tm);

I read in autoconf documentation that AC_LIBOBJ replacements for
lstat/mktime/... are required, and also that:

   The following macros have been marked obsolete.  New programs
   should use the corresponding Gnulib modules.  Gnulib not only
   detects a larger set of portability problems with these functions,
   but also provides complete workarounds.

     AC_FUNC_ERROR_AT_LINE  AC_FUNC_LSTAT_FOLLOWS_SLASHED_SYMLINK
     AC_FUNC_MKTIME  AC_FUNC_STRTOD

Should we do something?  (Putting Gnulib replacements in our lib
directory and adding the needed changes to make use of them?)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Ce n'est pas en tournant le dos aux choses qu'on leur fait face. »
  (Pierre Dac)