Function replacements (warnings from autoscan)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 27 20:51:17 UTC 2011

> When I run autoscan on our source code, I obtain several lines like:

> configure.ac: warning: missing AC_FUNC_LSTAT_FOLLOWS_SLASHED_SYMLINK wanted by: storage/tradspool/tradspool.c:1066
> configure.ac: warning: missing AC_FUNC_MKTIME wanted by: lib/date.c:416

> [...]

> corresponding to:

>         if (lstat(path, &sb) < 0) {
>             free(path);
>             continue;
>         }

> and:

>         result = local ? mktime(&tm) : mktime_utc(&tm);

I think autoscan's advice is out of date or irrelevant.  Systems without
mktime basically don't exist any more, and we don't care whether lstat
follows symlinks with trailing slashes.

> Should we do something?  (Putting Gnulib replacements in our lib
> directory and adding the needed changes to make use of them?)

Gnulib is unfortunately a licensing landmine, as a lot of the replacement
functions are under either the GPL or the LGPL, with various fallout for
the licensing of the rest of the project that uses them.  That's one of
the reasons why I use rra-c-util and my own replacements rather than
Gnulib.