collabra/netscape news server?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Dec 15 17:29:13 UTC 2012

Anybody know what happened to the old Netscape News Server and/or
Collabra Share, which was moved into it?

As I recall, they did a really good job in integrating NNTP, LDAP user
authentication, access controls - essentially adding all the hooks
needed to turn NNTP into a groupware platform.  (I seem to recall them
marketing it as the "Netscape Collaboration Server" at one point.)

I know that one can do all of this with INN or Diablo, but I've never
seen it as well integrated as the short-lived Netscape product.

Which periodically leads me to wonder if the code has survived, been
maintained, open sourced, incorporated into other news servers, or some
such.  Anybody here have a clue about this (or even remember the old
product)?

Thanks,

Miles Fidelman