performance loss with inn 2.5.x (tradspool) ?

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon Feb 13 12:41:25 UTC 2012

Hi Matija,

> I've recently upgraded (xref master) news machine from Debian
> Lenny with INN 2.4.6-snapshot-20090119 to Debian Squeeze with
> INN 2.5.2-2~squeeze1
>
> I've done it before with xrefslave INN server (tradspool with
> tradindex) on similar hardware, and it didn't have any performance
> issues.
>
> However, now I've upgraded xref master server (tradspool, no readers
> and no overview indexes, with about 45 realtime peers) and I'm seeing
> severe performance degradation (loadavg went from 2 to 6!), which
> started to create problems (server does not responded to nagios
> connection probes to port 119, etc)

I do not know what could generate such a difference.

As far as I understand, the problem is related with "peering"-like
functions.
INN 2.5.x has a new parser for NNTP commands but I doubt it would cause
a very huger load for innd.

The Perl and Python filters for innd also check the message-ID of
articles arriving through TAKETHIS.  (Before, it was only for IHAVE and
CHECK.)

Do you use wanttrash, logtrash, keyword generation?  These functions
have changed.

Did you have a look at River's suggestion?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« – Que lui est-il arrivé ? Un choc moral ?
   – Oui, avec un menhir. » (Astérix)