Invalid 431 response when server is paused

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon Jan 2 11:31:51 UTC 2012

Hi River,

>> Incidentally, does the feeder you are speaking about properly handle
>> the 400 response code innd gives when paused and TAKETHIS is used?
>
> It will handle it, but only in the same way it handles any unexpected[0]
> response: it will disconnect, wait about 60 seconds, then reconnect and
> try again with the same message-id.
>
> [0] By which I mean "not 239 or 439".

Even 480 (authentication needed) or 483 (encryption needed)?

Anyway, this behaviour for 400 looks fine.

>> And, more subtle, does it handle 501 response codes?
>
> No.  Or rather, it does the same thing as 400: it will try to re-send
> the article later.  So if the remote server is more strict about
> message-ids than we are, the queue would block trying to send the same
> article forever.

That is unfortunately not the best thing to do with 501.  It can block a
feeder.

> Of course, since INN doesn't actually send 501 at the moment, we avoid
> the problem here.

Yes, and I do not see well when this behaviour could be changed...
Especially when reading your other mail in the NNTP working group about
CAPABILITIES causing 500 and a disconnection on Cyclone servers.  I bet
501 will not be understood by many servers.

> I think the right (RFC-compliant) response
> is to treat it as 438, unless there are servers which can return 501 for
> other reasons.

I also agree with you that 501 in responses to IHAVE, CHECK and TAKETHIS
should be treated as a rejection.

> For reference, the feeder source is here:
> <http://www.rt.uk.eu.org/cvs/rt/nts/feeder.c?view=markup>  (mostly the
> fe_running() function).

When trying to access the page:
"An Exception Has Occurred
rt not found!"

--
Julien ÉLIE

« J'ai le pied gauche qui est jaloux du pied droit. Quand j'avance le
   pied droit, le pied gauche, qui ne veut pas rester en arrière…
   passe devant… le pied droit en fait autant… et moi… comme un
   imbécile… je marche. » (Raymond Devos)