Invalid 431 response when server is paused

River Tarnell river at RT.UK.EU.ORG
Wed Jan 4 20:46:46 UTC 2012

Julien ÉLIE:
> An advantage of nnrpd's IHAVE is that it can benefit from the native
> STARTTLS extension nnrpd has (and therefore also compression TLS can
> do), or SASL authentication.

But this is probably outweighed by having to use IHAVE... Diablo
supports a non-standard compression protocol using "MODE COMPRESS",
which I imagine is more likely to be supported by a transit server ;-)

> Is nnrpd's IHAVE "*really* slow"?  (I have not benchmarked it; I ask
> in case you already compared it to innd's IHAVE and had figures.)

Compared to INN's IHAVE, I don't know.  But it's definitely much slower
than streaming.  (Perhaps someone should add streaming to nnrpd, and do
away with innd entirely ;-)

> >(I recall some confusion about whether a line that starts
> >with "." but has further text on it should be escaped or not.)

> A confusion in an existing document?

No, rather someone (on ietf-nntp, I think) who was unclear about what
exactly should be escaped.  Which given the ad-hoc nature of NNTP, means
there could be a server out there that gets it wrong.  However I've
never actually seen that in practice.

Regards,
--
        -- river.                      | Free Usenet: http://news.rt.uk.eu.org/
Non-Reciprocal Laws of Expectations:   | PGP: 2B9CE6F2