nnrp conf

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Fri Dec 5 01:52:35 UTC 2014

Edwardo Garcia <wdgarc88 at gmail.com> writes:

> So, this may no stop single user from multiple login afterall?

Sorry, that was probably confusing.  I was worried that the innd support
wouldn't scale if you had a lot of users, but after looking at the code,
I'm pretty sure it will be fine.  So as long as you're happy restricting
by IP address, not authenticated user, those flags should do what you
want.

> Second, how inn handsle new groups add by upstream? Is simple process or
> cron to run daily to update active file and add new groups?  Wondering
> how I need handle this, since we not seem to have all group since setup,
> upstream seem add 19 new group we dont seem have, should upstream be
> send us control so it happen on fly or manual intervention require?

Control message handling is a whole giant topic with a lot of differing
opinions.  It's sadly pretty complicated, since different people want
different things.

I'm not sure we have a good guide to all the different options.  The two
main approaches are to set up your server to process and verify control
messages (those don't come from your upstream -- they come from anyone on
Usenet who wants to send them, but there's a way to authenticate them), or
to synchronize your newsgroups from someone else.

If you want to do the first, see the "Processing Newsgroup Control
Messages" section in INSTALL (it's at the end of the file).  If you want
to do the second, read the man page for actsync, which will automatically
make your list of newsgroups match a list retrieved via FTP or from
another news server against which you can run LIST ACTIVE.  (I'm sorry
it's so complicated, but the EXAMPLES section will hopefully help.)

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>