hide headers

Nick Edwards nick.z.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 00:31:21 UTC 2014

On 9/11/14, Russ Allbery <eagle at eyrie.org> wrote:
> Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> We only have the localhost and custs auth/access's none others, but I
>> did fix the problem by stop / start,  reload did not seem to do it?
>
>> Now the path is done the only thing remaining is the message-id being
>> remote still, not the news server, perhaps I'm on information
>> overload, and need to walk away till morning, but this one I cant find
>> any option to deal with.
>
> Right, the message ID can be provided by the client and it potentially
> seriously breaks the NNTP protocol for the server to override the client's
> choice of message ID.  (The server doesn't know whether the client is
> offering the same message ID to multiple servers.)
>
> You can probably do something with a posting filter by editing the
> headers, but there isn't (and won't be) a built-in option for changing the
> message ID because it's a protocol violation and could result in duplicate
> messages (in scenarios that you probably aren't worried about).

OK, Thanks Russ, we know many servers do it (including inn based),
we've enabled that option since 2002 at least, but the great thing is
your filters understand perl so it'll be easy to take their LHS and
insert it to our @RHS  :-)

I think that's the last remaining obstacle , will run it in for a few
more weeks to make sure, bound to be something I've missed heh.