private newsgroups & collabra server?

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Fri Apr 8 20:02:07 UTC 2016

Hi Miles,

> Anybody here remember the old Netscape Collabra server (acquired
> from Collabra)? It provided some really nice features for setting up
> private newsgroups (e.g., for use within a company and as an
> alternative to email lists) - with a nice GUI that made it easy for
> folks other than sys admins to set up groups.
>
> I'm looking for similar capabilities - either using INN, or another
> news server. Can anybody offer some guidance or suggestions, or at
> least a starting point? (For that matter, anybody happen to know what
> happenedto the Collabra code and/or the developers?)

INN unfortunately does not come with "a nice GUI" so I bet it won't be
suiting your needs.

Are you looking for a news server running on Linux, Windows, or another OS?
In case you can use Windows, I recommend you the nice CodoSoft NNTPd
news server:  http://www.codosoft.com/en/
I hope it is the kind of server you are looking for.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« The hardest thing is to go to sleep at night, when there are so many
   urgent things needing to be done.  A huge gap exists between what we
   know is possible with today's machines and what we have so far been
   able to finish. »  (Donald Knuth)