private newsgroups & collabra server?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at protocoltechnologiesgroup.com
Fri Apr 8 20:19:22 UTC 2016

On 4/8/16 4:02 PM, Julien ÉLIE wrote:
> Hi Miles,
>
>> Anybody here remember the old Netscape Collabra server (acquired
>> from Collabra)? It provided some really nice features for setting up
>> private newsgroups (e.g., for use within a company and as an
>> alternative to email lists) - with a nice GUI that made it easy for
>> folks other than sys admins to set up groups.
>>
>> I'm looking for similar capabilities - either using INN, or another
>> news server. Can anybody offer some guidance or suggestions, or at
>> least a starting point? (For that matter, anybody happen to know what
>> happenedto the Collabra code and/or the developers?)
>
> INN unfortunately does not come with "a nice GUI" so I bet it won't be
> suiting your needs.
>
> Are you looking for a news server running on Linux, Windows, or
> another OS?
> In case you can use Windows, I recommend you the nice CodoSoft NNTPd
> news server:  http://www.codosoft.com/en/
> I hope it is the kind of server you are looking for.

Julien,

Thanks, but we're running Linux - I can't really see running a
production server under Windows.

A follow-up question though - I know that INN (and NNTP) have some
authentication capabilities - but what I'm still trying to figure out is
whether
these are local only, or whether there are any global authentication
capabilities for newsgroup access (e.g., encryption of messages under a
shared key, or distributed access control using Kerberos).

Thanks again,

Miles

--
Miles Fidelman, Principal