bad_messageid

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Thu Feb 18 01:09:30 UTC 2016

> It is currently impossible to disable these checks.

> As they have been present for more than 20 years (INN 1.5.1 was already
> checking the syntax of message-IDs), I am not very appealed to the idea of
> relaxing them now.

Yeah, I've resisted relaxing that check for as long as I've been involved
in INN.  The posters that are generating those message IDs are completely
broken, and they're only being propagated by servers that don't make any
attempts to enforce standards compliance.

It's one thing if syntax errors affect fields that are primarily for human
consumption, but since the message ID is the unique database key for
netnews, I don't think it's a good idea to allow blatant syntax errors.

It's usually always the same thing: double @-signs, by something posting
YEnc binary crap.  My guess is that there's some binary autoposter that
doesn't produce syntactically valid articles.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>