INN2 Not Launching Properly

Jeffrey Rolland jrolland at racer-family.net
Wed Jan 6 04:47:32 UTC 2016

Hello, all!

I just set up my news server INN2 on Ubuntu Trusty, and I just got word
from aioe.org that they had set me up as a peer (yay!). So, I
downloaded
the active and newsgroups lists from ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/
CONFIG/, gunzipped them, grepped out the "binary" and "binaries"
newsgroups, copied them into /var/lib/news, stopped inn and restarted
it,
and couldn't log into my newsserver with Pan.

So, I stopped INN, and I got the funny error message ftp://ftp.isc.org/
pub/usenet/CONFIG/Stopping innd: ctlinnd: no innd.pid file; did server
die?
ctlinnd: cannot send "shutdown" command (sendto failure): No such file
or
directory

I started INN with sudo su news -s /bin/sh -c /usr/lib/news/bin/rc.news
and checked ps -u news, but there was no innd listed:

  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 3451 ?        00:00:00 rc.news
 4302 ?        00:00:00 innwatch
 4803 ?        00:00:00 sleep

So, I killed INN again, and got the same funny error message.

Can anyone help? I realize I'm a total newbie at this. Could this be a
result of a mismatch between my active and newsgroups file.

Thanks much in advance for any assistance you can provide

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Rolland