INN2 Not Launching Properly

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Wed Jan 6 19:01:24 UTC 2016

Hi Jeffrey,

> I downloaded
> the active and newsgroups lists from ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/
> CONFIG/, gunzipped them, grepped out the "binary" and "binaries"
> newsgroups, copied them into /var/lib/news, stopped inn and restarted
> it, and couldn't log into my newsserver with Pan.

I think the problem comes from the fact you did not stop INN before
playing with its active list.

Usually, the actsync program is used to keep the active file in sync
with ftp.isc.org; have a look at:
     http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/actsync.html

> So, I stopped INN, and I got the funny error message ftp://ftp.isc.org/
> pub/usenet/CONFIG/Stopping innd: ctlinnd: no innd.pid file; did server
> die?
> ctlinnd: cannot send "shutdown" command (sendto failure): No such file
> or directory

Does the contents of the active file look OK?
(Lines of newsgroup names followed with numbers?)

> Could this be a
> result of a mismatch between my active and newsgroups file.

No; it would not give any error like this.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« La mathématique est une science dangereuse : elle dévoile les
   supercheries et les erreurs de calcul. » (Galilée)