Re-allocating CNFS Buffers - best way to do so?

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Fri Jan 8 03:01:10 UTC 2016

<avon at bbs.geek.nz> writes:

> When I set up my INN server I had allocated a number of large cycbuff to
> various metacycbuff

> I now find that I really should have changed the allocation of how many
> cycbuff were assigned to each metacycbuff

> The current setting is

> metacycbuff:BIG8:BUFF01,BUFF02:SEQUENTIAL
> metacycbuff:ALT:BUFF03,BUFF04:SEQUENTIAL
> metacycbuff:BIN:BUFF05,BUFF06,BUFF07,BUFF08:SEQUENTIAL
> metacycbuff:CTCALL:BUFF09,BUFF010:SEQUENTIAL

> As I don't really carry any binaries (and had set this configuration up
> much earlier in the process before this dawned) I was to use some of the
> cycbuff currently assigned to BIN and move them to the other
> metacycbuff.

> Sometime ago I recall stopping the server and changing the allocation of
> cycbuffs assigned to metacycbuff but then hit issues with permissions to
> write to cycbuff or similar. Can't recall.

> What is the best way to reassign cycbuffs to different metacycbuffs?

I haven't done this in a long time, but I thought only the cycbuff, not
the metacycbuff, was noted in the storage API tokens.  So I think you can
just move the buffers to a different metacycbuff and restart INN and
things will Just Work.

Yeah, looking at the CNFS code, I think that's correct.

I don't see any reason why you'd have permission issues, since INN is
currently writing to all of those buffers anyway.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>