Problems making local postings to inn2

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Jun 3 12:24:50 UTC 2017

Hi Jeffery,

> I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 16.10 to 17.04 and have been having many
> problems making local postings to the news system.  There was likely
> an upgrade of inn2 to version 2.6.1-1 at this time.
>
> For years I've been using the mailagent(1) program to filter various incoming
> emails into the news service and posting still works in general, but I am now
> seeing a LOT of the following new messages in my mailer log file:
>
>     inews: cannot send article to server: 441 Invalid syntax encountered \
>     in headers (unexpected byte, no colon-space, or empty content line)
>     inews: article not posted

INN 2.6.1 enforced more syntax checks on header fields at injection
time, that is to say when a posting agent tries to inject an article in
the news service.  The intent is to prevent malformed articles from
reaching the news service.
I see that you quote an error from inews, an injecting agent that
connects to nnrpd to POST articles.  Couldn't you try to use rnews
instead?  rnews uses IHAVE to submit articles to innd, which performs
less checks (as articles are considered already injected into the news
service, and therefore should go on being propagated).

> I can find no instances of:
>
>     * A header that does not have a "Name:<space>" format
>     * A header with an empty field after the :<space>
>     * Any odd characters: e.g., no non-ascii-7 characters

As Russ noted, odd characters are non-printable ones (and not non-ASCII
chars).  8-bit printable chars are perfectly allowed (INN for instance
copes with UTF-8 or latin1 encodings).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Je préfère glisser ma peau sous des draps pour le plaisir des sens
   que de la risquer sous les drapeaux pour le prix de l'essence. »
   (Raymond Devos)