Authentication

Jörg Ettrich joerg.ettrich at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 20 13:19:37 UTC 2017

Dear All,

I'm new to inn2, and I want to set up a small server which will be used
for local project-group discussions. So far I succeed in set up, but
I'm still struggling with authentication issue! I'm using...

# Users can connect from every host (web, internal network, whatever)
# and need to authenticate against the systems password, leading to
# identity USERNAME at group.org, otherwise identity <FAIL>@group.org is
# assigned
auth "GROUP" {
    hosts: *
    auth: "/usr/lib/news/bin/auth/passwd/ckpasswd -s"
    default: <FAIL>
    default-domain: group.org
}

#
# If authentication fails, no newsgroup is available, no access
# rights
access "FAIL" {
    users: <FAIL>@group.org
    newsgroups: "!*"
    access: ""
}

#
# If authentication succeeds, access is granted to groups...
access "ELCOD" {
    users: joe at group.org
    newsgroups: groups.*
    access: RP
}

Unfortunately, the authentication does not work as I expected, or
-which is more likely - I still haven't understood the authentication
process!?

Furthermore, I'm a bit confused about the syslog entries...  Sometimes
I got really useful information as

nnrpd[17405]: Reading access from /etc/news/readers.conf
nnrpd[17405]: some.org res <FAIL>@group.org
nnrpd[17405]: some.org no_match_user <FAIL>@group.org joe at group.org
nnrpd[17405]: some.org match_user <FAIL>@group.org <FAIL>@group.org
nnrpd[17405]: some.org no_read FAIL
nnrpd[17405]: some.org no_post FAIL
nnrpd[17405]: some.org no_permission FAIL

for instance, when user authentication fails. On the other hand, I only
got...

innd: X:Y:Z:A connected 20 streaming allowed
innd: X:Y:Z:A:20 checkpoint seconds 0 accepted 0 refused 0 rejected 0
duplicate 0 accepted size 0 duplicate size 0 rejected size 0
innd: X.Y.Z.A:20 closed seconds 0 accepted 0 refused 0 rejected 0
duplicate 0 accepted size 0 duplicate size 0 rejected size 0

in case I'm trying to authenticate. If I try to telnet from an other
machine...

$ telnet -j joe new.server.org 119
Trying AA:XX:YY:ZZ
Connected to new.server.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 news.server.org InterNetNews server INN 2.6.1 ready (transit mode)

and if I now try to authenticate...

AUTHINFO USER joe
502 Authentication will fail

I got this...

I'm really confused, and it seems I can't get it working right now.
Please could anyone give me an advice?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Joe