Authentication

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Wed Jun 21 19:30:44 UTC 2017

Hi Jörg
> Furthermore, I'm a bit confused about the syslog entries...  Sometimes
> I got really useful information as
>
> nnrpd[17405]: Reading access from /etc/news/readers.conf
> nnrpd[17405]: some.org res <FAIL>@group.org
> nnrpd[17405]: some.org no_match_user <FAIL>@group.org joe at group.org
> nnrpd[17405]: some.org match_user <FAIL>@group.org <FAIL>@group.org
> nnrpd[17405]: some.org no_read FAIL
> nnrpd[17405]: some.org no_post FAIL
> nnrpd[17405]: some.org no_permission FAIL

That's when nnrpd (reading mode) is in use.

> for instance, when user authentication fails. On the other hand, I only
> got...
>
> innd: X:Y:Z:A connected 20 streaming allowed
> innd: X:Y:Z:A:20 checkpoint seconds 0 accepted 0 refused 0 rejected 0
> duplicate 0 accepted size 0 duplicate size 0 rejected size 0
> innd: X.Y.Z.A:20 closed seconds 0 accepted 0 refused 0 rejected 0
> duplicate 0 accepted size 0 duplicate size 0 rejected size 0

That's when innd (transit mode) is in use.

> in case I'm trying to authenticate. If I try to telnet from an other
> machine...
>
> $ telnet -j joe new.server.org 119
> Trying AA:XX:YY:ZZ
> Connected to new.server.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 200 news.server.org InterNetNews server INN 2.6.1 ready (transit mode)

Here, innd (transit mode) is answering.
Send "MODE READER" and you'll see a 200 response with "InterNetNews NNRP
server" (note the "NNRP" indication).

> and if I now try to authenticate...
>
> AUTHINFO USER joe
> 502 Authentication will fail

Now that "MODE READER" has been sent, you will not be seeing again that
error code.

> I'm really confused, and it seems I can't get it working right now.
> Please could anyone give me an advice?

In your incoming.conf configuration file, I believe you have listed the
other machine from which you telnet.  When listed, innd (transit mode)
responds and you'll need a "MODE READER" command to switch to nnrpd
(reading mode).  When not listed, nnrpd is directly spawned by innd.

I hope my explanations are clear enough.
I think your readers.conf file is fine and will work.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Les grands artistes n'ont pas de patrie. » (Alfred de Musset)