[patch] Spelling fixes

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Wed Apr 25 20:18:50 UTC 2018

Hi Russ,

> I haven't looked at this in detail, but for the record, that change is
> generally correct.  For whatever reason, English doesn't let one say "this
> permits to validate control articles" (for instance).  I'm not sure I have
> the details of the grammar exactly right, but the way I'd think of it is
> that "permits" is a transitive verb that needs some sort of object (some
> action to be permitted or some person who is being permitted).  The
> infinitive "to validate" can't normally function in English as a noun, so
> it can't be the object of a verb.

Many thanks for the explanation.
I've just committed the fix.

... and I confess being the one to have introduced most of these
spelling errors (during more than 10 years of commits; time goes fast!)
The wrong construct "permit to" / "allow to" is a Frenchism (either a
substantive or a verb can follow them in French - "ceci permet de
valider des articles de contrôle" / "ceci permet la validation des
articles de contrôle").

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Les ouvriers qui font la pause lentilles voient arriver un visiteur
   inattendu… » (Astérix)