silently ignore duplicate inews via mailpost

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon Dec 21 21:49:50 UTC 2020

Hi Harald,

> I have modified mailpost as suggested, but the problem is not that
> easy to reproduce.  Obviously there is a race condition between
> sendmail/mailpost and inews.  I would guess that usually sendmail
> is faster and that inews dropped the duplicate article without
> complaining.

As you're using "-c 15" in the call to mailpost, it sleeps during 15
seconds:

CUSTOMER_BOSS: "|/usr/lib/news/bin/mailpost -c 15 -b /var/tmp -x To:CC
example.projects.CUSTOMER_BOSS"

From: anja at example.com (Anja)
Newsgroups: example.projects.CUSTOMER_BOSS
Cc: CUSTOMER_BOSS <CUSTOMER_BOSS at example.com>

Thunderbird sends both an article and an e-mail.

So either you have in that order:
1/ a/ message directly posted to the newsgroup
    b/ message posted to the newsgroup by mailpost 15s after having
received the e-mail (but then you would have a Duplicate error)

or:

2/ a/ message posted to the newsgroup by mailpost 15s after having
received the e-mail
    b/ message directly posted to the newsgroup (but then Anja receives
an error in Thunderbird because of a Duplicate message-ID)

The first case 1/ would be the most frequent, wouldn't it?
Or I'm missing something in the explanation; what would the race
condition be?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Quand on retire tout ce qu'on a dit, il reste tout ce qu'on n'a pas
   dit. » (Philippe Geluck)