Hardening flags

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Thu Nov 12 19:58:04 UTC 2020

Hi Russ,

>>> Syncing rra-c-util will also pick up the fix for Debian bug #974024.
>
>> Did you commit the fix for #974024? (build issue on IPV6-only builds)
>> I do not see it.
>
> It's commit b7d8ecafc9d5a7a8e3d37128640061e1ad0eb9da which I think hasn't
> been synced to INN yet (although I have used Git so much that I've
> forgotten how to use Subversion, so maybe I'm missing it)... oh, yes, I
> did miss it.  I think you already synced this as r10388

Yes, exactly, it is r10388 in CURRENT.
Yet not committed to STABLE, but will do soon.

> so I think the Debian bug will be fixed by updating to code later
> than that.  (Obviously a release is a great idea.)

Seems like a yearly or every two years release (like this one) is a good
idea.  There are always little fixes or improvements that could benefit
to some people.

Also, FYI, automake has just included upstream our local changes to
install-sh:
   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2020-11/index.html

Only the Cygwin part has not:

     +  # For Cygwin compatibility.
     +  if [ -x "$src".exe ]; then
     +    src=${src}.exe
     +  fi

   I think this change is too dangerous. It would make it impossible to
   install foo if foo.exe exists, regardless of what was intended.
   I think Cygwin support has to be handled at a different level,
   like EXEEXT in Autoconf.

Well, we're not impacted so it's fine for this local change to install-sh.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« – Nous parlerons quand l'interprète dormira. [Bong !]
   – Il dort. On peut parler. » (Astérix)