Static builds & snapshots

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Nov 21 10:00:12 UTC 2020

Hi all,

>> ovdb does not build:
>> /home/iulius/work/gcc/gcc-10.1.0/bin/gcc -fPIE -pie -o ovdb_init
>> ovdb_init.o  /home/iulius/work/inn/trunk/history/.libs/libinnhist.a
>> /home/iulius/work/inn/trunk/storage/.libs/libstorage.a
>> /home/iulius/work/inn/trunk/lib/.libs/libinn.a -ldb -lz
>> /home/iulius/work/inn/trunk/storage/.libs/libstorage.a(expire.o): dans
>> la fonction « OVhisthasmsgid »:
>> /home/iulius/work/inn/trunk/storage/expire.c:804: référence indéfinie
>> vers « HISlookup »
>>
>> I'll go on fixing that tomorrow.
>
> This time, it happens to frontends (ovdb) and we have libtool...
> I've seen that a special flag --preserve-dup-deps can be used.  But
> unfortunately, it does not work (stripping the duplicate libstorage.la >
> Still an open bug (from 2008):
>    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=508658

Linking with static libraries now work fine again!

Fix will be present in upcoming INN 2.6.4:
   https://inn.eyrie.org/trac/changeset/10406/ (issue with circular
dependencies + Libtool bug)
   https://inn.eyrie.org/trac/changeset/10412/ (issue with expire.c)

Patch submitted to improve --preserve-dup-deps in Libtool Debian package.

Incidentally, would it be possible to add a few configure flags to INN
during the dailing generation of snapshots?  It would regularly test
that some options are still working fine.
For instance :
- on Monday: ./configure --enable-shared=no
- on Tuesday: ./configure --enable-tagged-hash
- on Wednesday: ./configure --enable-keywords
- on Thursday: ./configure --enable-largefiles
- on Friday: ./configure --enable-reduced-depends
- on the other days: ./configure

Or I just put a note in HACKING to recall that these flags should be
tested before making a release :)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Bravo ! avec tes idées assommantes… » (Astérix)