Build failure on macOS 10.15

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Mon Nov 30 18:36:04 UTC 2020

> Oh, thanks!
> I'm wondering whether RRA_PROG_LD_FLAG should not take 2 arguments into
> account ($1 for CFLAGS, and $2 for LDFLAGS).

> Use case would be to improve the current chek for PIE to:

>   RRA_PROG_LD_FLAG([-fPIE], [-pie],
>                    [CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fPIE"
>                     LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} -pie"], [])

> instead of only using RRA_PROG_CC_FLAG, checking that the compiler
> supports -fPIE, and assuming (without testing it) that the linker will
> accept -pie.

Don't you want something like this?

RRA_PROG_CC_FLAG([-fPIE],
    [CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fPIE"
     RRA_PROG_LD_FLAG([-pie], [LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -pie"])])

I could support checking both at the same time, but I think the above is
equivalent for all systems I'm aware of and makes it fairly clear what's
going on.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

     <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.