Build failure on macOS 10.15

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon Nov 30 19:00:58 UTC 2020

Hi Russ,
>>    RRA_PROG_LD_FLAG([-fPIE], [-pie],
>>                     [CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fPIE"
>>                      LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} -pie"], [])
>
> Don't you want something like this?
>
> RRA_PROG_CC_FLAG([-fPIE],
>      [CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fPIE"
>       RRA_PROG_LD_FLAG([-pie], [LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -pie"])])
>
> I could support checking both at the same time, but I think the above is
> equivalent for all systems I'm aware of and makes it fairly clear what's
> going on.

Couldn't we have linkers that do not know how to link PIE executables?
The compiler would support PIE but the linker would not, so we would not
want to have CFLAGS with -fPIE if RRA_PROG_LD_FLAG([-pie]) failed.
That's why I thought setting both CFLAGS and LDFLAGS at the same time
would be better to handle that case (which maybe does not exist in
practice).
OK otherwise with your suggestion.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Pour se marier, il faut un témoin comme pour un accident ou un duel. »
   (Sacha Guitry)