INN2 user authentication against system users

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Thu Feb 11 17:49:19 UTC 2021

Kevin Shell <kshell at gmx.com> writes:

> I've successfully authenticate against the newsusers file,
> I tried to authenticate against system users but no success.
> I don't want to maintain a seperate set of news users,
> how do I do authentication against the system users,
> like /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow?

Just using ckpasswd without any other options will tell ckpasswd to invoke
PAM to verify the password.  PAM will, in turn, check authentication
against the normal system authentication files (as configured by your
regular PAM configuration).  It claims to be the application "nnrpd".

You may need to install a (simple) PAM configuration as documented in the
ckpasswd man page, although I think most systems provide a sensible
default.

You probably want to go through PAM rather than using ckpasswd -s because
PAM will generally use a setgid helper program to allow it to read
/etc/shadow without you having to do special configuration.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

     <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.