INN 2.6.4 util/inndf test 6 gives different result on ppc64le on Fedora

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Tue Feb 16 21:16:24 UTC 2021

Hi Dominik,

> That works without making the patch conditional on ppc64le arch, thanks!

As for the INN 2.6.4 Fedora package, I think you can drop
inn-2.6.4-pie.patch because it is now enforced by default for the whole
build.  I've checked in the Fedora build logs, that it is OK:

checking if gcc supports -fPIE... yes
checking if gcc supports -pie for linking... yes

Every program built has that flag, and both rnews and innd have it twice :)

Description of the inn package needs being reviewed:
"INN (InterNetNews) is a complete system for serving Usenet news and/or
private newsfeeds.  INN includes innd, an NNTP (NetNews Transport
Protocol) server, and nnrpd, a newsreader that is spawned for each
client. Both innd and nnrpd vary slightly from the NNTP protocol, but
not in ways that are easily noticed. Install the inn package if you need
a complete system for serving and reading Usenet news. You may also need
to install inn-devel, if you are going to use a separate program which
interfaces to INN, like newsgate or tin."

=> NNTP means NetNews Transfer Protocol (not Transport)
=> nnrpd is not a newsreader but also a news server that handles
connections from news readers
=> should it be mentioned that innd and nnrpd vary slightly from the
NNTP protocol?  it is *very very* slightly :-)
=> "a complete system for serving and reading Usenet news" => for
posting, injecting, relaying and serving, but not reading AFAIK or I am
really missing something, or you call pullnews a reading agent :-)

inn-devel package:
I've looked at the installed files.  These two ones for INN Perl modules
should not be in inn-devel but in inn directly:
   /usr/share/man/man3/INN::Config.3pm.gz
   /usr/share/man/man3/INN::Utils::Shlock.3pm.gz

Also, maybe clibrary.h and config.h should not be in inn-devel but in inn.

inn package:
A few files ending with ".in" are mentioned in
/usr/share/doc/inn/samples as installed files; they should be excluded.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Les amis de la vérité sont ceux qui la cherchent, et non ceux qui se
   vantent de l'avoir trouvée. » (Condorcet)