Build system changes

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Tue Nov 23 23:02:31 UTC 2021

> I think we should wait for the new build system for the 2.7.0 release
> (if of course you have time to make it work).  I had in mind a 2.6.5
> last release for the 2.6 branch in the first semester of 2022, and 2.7.0
> a few weeks later.

> I would also like to add Cancel-Lock support in 2.7.0 (but of course it
> can come later).

Ah, yes, that sounds great.

I made some progress on this but then I got distracted by work and other
things, so I haven't been able to get to it for the past two weeks.  I am
going to pick it up again, and should have time in the next month and a
half to finish it.  (Hopefully sooner than that, of course.)

> - Remove or fix installation of signcontrol #28
> => couldn't signcontrol just be moved to the "contrib" directory then? It
> will no longer be installed by default and overwritten during a "make
> update"

I see that you did this and I agree with that, but also we could just drop
it from the INN distribution entirely.  It's available via the pgpcontrol
distribution also from ISC if anyone wants it, and I think the number of
INN users who need to issue control messages is very small.  The number
who both need that and who benefit from having it included in INN may be
zero.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

     <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.