Removing obsolete control messages in INN 2.7

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Tue Nov 23 23:27:05 UTC 2021

> I suggest a bit of clean up for obsolete control messages in INN 2.7:

> - remove control/modules/{sendsys,senduuname,version}.pl;

> - remove the "doifarg" keyword from controlchan and control.ctl
>   documentation (it is only used for these 3 kinds of control messages);

> - but keep the recognition of the sendsys, senduuname and version control
>  messages in inncheck and scanlogs (because they are still referenced in
> control.ctl) as well as filter_innd.py in the example of a regexp for
> obsolete control articles.

Sounds good to me.  I can't imagine us ever wanting to support those
control messages.

> There is a common man page for send-ihave (ihave control messages) and
> send-nntp (usual articles).  I suggest to:

> - remove the send-nntp script, and mention in NEWS that nntpsend or
>   innfeed should be used instead;

I agree, I don't understand why that script exists when nntpsend exists.
nntpsend feels like a more sophisticated version of send-nntp.

> - keep the send-ihave script as well as control/modules/{ihave,sendme}.pl
>  as the ihave and sendme control messages are not obsolete.  Though I
> would be half-tempted to also drop them...  Even the documentation says
> "the author of this manpage is unsure as to how [send-ihave] actually
> works or used to work".  Indeed, it is not clear how ihave batch files are
> generated... (no examples)

My recollection is that this stuff is all intended for UUCP feeds.  The
idea is that you tell your UUCP peers what articles you have available via
ihave control messages, you respond with a sendme control message for the
articles that you want, and the sendme controlchan module creates a batch
file to send to that site via UUCP.

I have no idea if any UUCP site is still using ihave/sendme control
messages to control the feed, rather than simply sending everything.
Obviously, this mechanism was more important when UUCP was done via
long-distance telephone calls and modems, where you wanted to minimize the
amount of time the line had to stay connected.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

     <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.