innupgrade for old shared libraries?

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Tue Nov 23 23:34:52 UTC 2021

> Shared libraries installed by previous INN versions tend to accumulate
> in the pathlib directory.  Shouldn't we remove old ones?  (keeping only
> the previous one for instance)

> Or should we expect other programs installed on the system, outside INN,
> to go on using old versions of our libraries and therefore we should
> leave them?

The reason to keep old versions would be to support a downgrade, which
right now is theoretically possible by renaming the .OLD files back and
changing the SONAME symlink to point to the previous version of the
library.  Keeping more than one old version with the current SONAME is
probably pointless since we don't keep more than one old binary.

Old SONAMEs could in theory be used by other files on the system, so it's
a question of how safe we want to be in innupgrade.  I might err on the
side of keeping them, I guess, since we don't know for certain that
they're no longer needed.  But I wouldn't object strongly to removing them
either.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

     <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.