Openssl 3.0.0

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Wed Sep 8 23:03:40 UTC 2021

> Russ, is there a reason why lib-pathname.m4 checks for /usr/lib32 or
> /usr/lib64 only?  I suggest to also add a check for /lib32 or /lib64.
> With the following patch, configure correctly finds
> /home/iulius/work/openssl-3.0.0/lib64 Note that I have /lib64 but not
> /usr/lib64 on an (old) Jessie Debian system.  Seems like newer versions
> have both.

Debian does not use /lib64 paths, so it's correct to not detect this on
Debian.  (They're explicitly forbidden by Debian Policy in favor of using
multiarch.)  This seems like a bug in OpenSSL that nontheless it installed
itself in <prefix>/lib64, presumably assuming the whole world is Red Hat.

If we want to work around this bug, we need different logic for
RRA_SET_LDFLAGS than for RRA_SET_LIBDIR, since it's incorrect on this
system for the latter to use /lib64, but the former should presumably fall
back to /lib64 if /lib is not present.

I assume you were using --with-openssl.  You can work around this with
--with-openssl-libs, but it would probably be better if you didn't have to
if OpenSSL does this everywhere.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

     <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.