Openssl 3.0.0

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Thu Sep 9 03:15:48 UTC 2021

Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> writes:
> On 09/09/2021 09:03, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Debian does not use /lib64 paths, so it's correct to not detect this on
>> Debian.  (They're explicitly forbidden by Debian Policy in favor of
>> using multiarch.)  This seems like a bug in OpenSSL that nontheless it
>> installed itself in <prefix>/lib64, presumably assuming the whole world
>> is Red Hat.

> The whole world doesnt use debian either :)

> Slackware also uses such paths (lib64) etc, and sure as hell isnt a red
> hat derivative

(It's a reference to an old saying "all the world is a VAX" about
portability issues in software.)

There are two major ways of doing multiarch libraries, the Red Hat way
(/lib64) and the Debian way (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu).  I call them that
because my recollection is that those are the Linux distributions that
developed those specific mechanisms when we started the transition to a
64-bit world (well, Debian and Ubuntu did theirs together).  So a more
precise way of saying it would be "assuming the whole world uses Red Hat's
multiarch scheme."

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

     <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.