INN Git tag format changed

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Mon Sep 13 01:23:56 UTC 2021

When I converted the repository, I used the tag naming convention I
started using years ago when first using Git: put all tags in their own
namespace, so the release tags were all release/<version> (like
release/2.6.4).

However, this doesn't play well with git describe, which I want to use for
snapshots, and isn't the convention in the Git world.  The two common
conventions are either v2.6.4 or a bare 2.6.4.  Since the latter works
best with git describe without any special reformatting, I've gone with
that.

I've pushed new bare version tags and deleted the release/* tags.
(Figured best do that early on before anyone starts depending much on the
new repository and format.)

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

     <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.