RIPE NCC - ISC agreement to work together to move IRRToolset

Hagen Boehm hboehm at brutus.NIC.DTAG.DE
Fri Aug 1 12:32:05 UTC 2008

Hi Jim and all others,

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 06:50:59PM -0800, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> 	Hello Joao & Hagen (& All) ,
>
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Joao Damas wrote:
> >Thanks Hagen,
> >can others express their interest in these additions?
> >Joao
> 	Hagen ,  is the source code at (*) primarily Solaris only ?
> 	Reason I asked is doing a straight "./configure && make 2>&1 | tee
> logfile" is producing pretty much nothing but errors .  If the tarball is
> patched to be functional on Solaris it may need a bit of tweeking for other
> OS's and their libraries ,  Just a Fyi .  Log of the failed build is
> available if wanted .
>
> (*)	linux based system ,  gcc 3.4.6 .
>  http://www.net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~hagen/IRRToolSet/tar/IRRToolSet-4.8.4-HB1.9.tar.gz

Jim, I think the problem here is the gcc 3.4.6, or better say at least upto
v4.8.4 the IRRToolSet is not compatible with gcc 3.4.6. I myself used gcc
3.3.2 as recommended in the README file.

So, if possible try to use gcc 3.3.2. Make sure you did not forget any of
the following steps when building the ToolSet:

1. in the IRRToolSet directory, type `./configure' to configure the
   package for your system. The `--prefix=PREFIXDIR' option specifies
   where the installation process should put the IRRToolSet tools and
   its data files. This defaults to `/usr/local'.
2. type "make depend" to generate the make file dependencies
3. type "make all" to build IRRToolSet.
4. type "make install" to copy the executables/man-pages to
   /usr/local/{bin,man} directory (or to the directory
   specified with --prefix argument to configure).

Sometimes people forget to execute "make depend". Also make sure that
you use gnu make. I had problems on Solaris 9 using make. With gnu
make 3.80 it works fine with me. And a last hint: Make sure that the
gcc 3.3.2 is able to find "_G_config.h". I know that gcc 3.3.2 had
problems to find that file on my Solaris system.

If it's still not building without errors, please send me your log and
I will see what I can do. But I think it shouldn't be a problem with
the OS.

Best,

   Hagen