Debian package

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Thu Jul 2 17:07:24 UTC 2009

On 02/07/2009 17:49, Faidon Liambotis wrote:
> Hm, right, the IBM-copyrighted part is licensed only for non-commercial
> purposes. That effectively means that we can't upload it to Debian's
> main section, since it directly contradicts DFSG#6 ("no discrimination
> against fields of endeavor"). Perhaps we could it make it to non-free
> though.

It's actually the USC-copyright stuff which is non-commercial.  re2dfa may
have been pulled from another package, perhaps rsd or the IBM version of
gated or something - it's difficult to tell.  But the license on that part
of the code indicates joint copyright of USC and IBM, and non-commercial.
If IBM could be removed from the picture (by replacing the re2dfa library),
then there would be just three copyright holders to deal with: RIPE NCC
(which have licensed under a reasonable license), Doug Lea (GPL) and USC
(non-commercial).  And if the USC people could be persuaded to reconsider
their position on the non-commercial aspect of the license, then that might
disencumber the package completely.

This is something which should be dealt with in due course.

Incidentally, there is also a copyright statement on the four man pages
which relates to IBM.  I believe this to be spurious.

Nick