RPSL automation

Shane Kerr shane_kerr at isc.org
Tue May 12 08:41:01 UTC 2009

All,

At the RIPE meeting last week, there was some brief discussion about the
IRRToolSet. After the working group, I was chatting with Andrei
Robachevsky, and we both agreed that the IRRToolSet is big and
complicated and does a lot more (and less) than what people want.

Our intuition tells us that most users want to specify a simple set of
tools to do a bit of set expansion (mostly from "as-set:" objects), but
mostly to pull peering data from "route:" or "aut-num:" objects. We are
not really sure however.

Andrei suggested that what we should do is ask people what they want
tools to do for automating RPSL interaction. So, if you could build
something to work with a routing registry, what would it do? How would
you use it?

We have a solution that I think nobody loves, so maybe we can figure out
what the problem is and then solve that. :)

Cheers,

--
Shane