RPSL automation

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Tue May 12 08:49:42 UTC 2009

On May 12, Shane Kerr <shane_kerr at isc.org> wrote:

> Our intuition tells us that most users want to specify a simple set of
> tools to do a bit of set expansion (mostly from "as-set:" objects), but
> mostly to pull peering data from "route:" or "aut-num:" objects. We are
> not really sure however.
Actually I doubt that many people use aut-num objects, because they are
at the same time quite complex to parse beyond the trivial cases and
often not expressive enough.

> Andrei suggested that what we should do is ask people what they want
> tools to do for automating RPSL interaction. So, if you could build
> something to work with a routing registry, what would it do? How would
> you use it?
I know that at least some other networks use my rpsltool software, which
uses route/route6/rs-set/as-set objects and an internal description of
the neighbors to build complete BGP configurations:
http://www.linux.it/~md/software/rpsltool-1.3.tgz .

--
ciao,
Marco