irrtoolset 5.0.0 release candidate

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Wed Jan 27 21:47:11 UTC 2010

On 27/01/2010 20:13, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
>     Tho ,  'man src/rpslcheck/rpslcheck.1'
>
>     ...snip...
>
>     SYNOPSIS
>        rpslcheck [flags] [<as-no>]
>
>     ...snip...
>
>     I am at least 'assuming' that [...] means these are optional ,
> Correct ?

correct, but it should really be:

--
     SYNOPSIS
        rpslcheck [flags]

>     If so then why ...
>
> /irrtoolset-5.0.0/trunk$ src/rpslcheck/rpslcheck AS19274
> unrecognized argument "AS19274"
>
> /irrtoolset-5.0.0/trunk$ src/rpslcheck/rpslcheck 19274
> unrecognized argument "19274"
>
>     So I guess I am confused again .  What may I be missing here .

rpslcheck parses RPSL.  When you specify "-as-no AS12345", it retrieves the
aut-num object from an IRRDB and parses the RPSL in that.  It does this
because RPSL is often found in aut-num objects.  Alternatively if you don't
specify "-as-no AS<asn>", then it assumes that you're going to pass RPSL on
stdin.  If you just specify the ASN, it gives an error because you're not
telling it what to do.

Hmmm, the documentation is rather broken.  I'll fix it.

Nick