irrtoolset 5.0.0 release candidate

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Fri Jan 29 22:50:31 UTC 2010

On 29/01/2010 22:31, S.P.Zeidler wrote:
> Building requires bison (plain traditional yacc doesn't understand
> %name-prefix or %output, but wants eg yacc -d -prpsl -o rpsl.y.cc rpsl.y,
> then outputs rpsl.y.h which needs to be renamed to rpsl.y.hh in rpsl;
> same with command.y in rtconfig. I doubt it's really worth it working
> around a dependency on bison though.)

yah, i had a 10 second look at traditional yacc on solaris, but decided
against making it compatible.  Truth is, bison is pretty ubiquitous these
days; and it's also a lot faster than yacc.

> It needs a define of LEX to "flex -l" on NetBSD 5 and prior.
> I discovered a bug in lex on NetBSD-current (which I'm currently hunting)
> but if one fixes the fallout of that bug, irrtoolset compiles and works
> fine.
>
> Further dependencies:
> requires automake and libtool-base

It's only the SVN source that needs automake;  the released tarball doesn't
need it, although it does require libtool.

> doesn't require gmake any longer, which is nice(tm)

yes, although the Makefiles from automate are truly grotesque.  Can't argue
that they work well, but wow, they're ugly.

I'm not feeling very guilty about putting in dependencies on tools like
bison, flex and libtool.  Most end-users are going to be installing
irrtoolset from a package / port system and not compiling it themselves.
Faidon has a .deb package; I have an updated freebsd port and also a new
macports Portfile ready.  The netbsd port can be fixed up pretty easily.
That just leaves Solaris, which is very much a minority platform anyway.
Haven't done anything about RH and RH derived systems which need rpms.
Anyone interested?

Nick