Kea Administrator Reference Manual question

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Wed Jun 11 16:24:38 UTC 2014

I'm working on a ticket #3418 that updates Kea User's Guide (formerly
also known as BIND10 Guide or Administrator Reference for BIND10/Kea).
Major part of that work is to convert all bindctl examples to JSON
format. I did convert couple sections and would like to ask for your
feedback.

You can either get the code from trac3418 or use that generated file:
http://git.kea.isc.org/~tomek/kea/kea-guide.html

In particular, please note sections 4. (general overview of the
configuration) and sections 5.2 (example config for Kea4) and 5.2.1
Default storage for leases. I'm particularly interested in your comments
on this one. It lists a number of parameters, but each of them is
presented in slightly different way. Let me know which of those formats
is easiest to read.

Couple random comments:
Section 5.2 includes an example that has line numbers. The obvious
advantage is that it's easier to reference them. The disadvantages are
that it's not possible to copy/paste the example and it's awkward to
maintain (e.g. when you need to add a line somewhere at the beginning).

Section 4.2.2 explains the notation that is used throughout the doc. It
was a directly applicable in bindctl, but I think it's convenient to
keep it after migration to JSON, even though it won't be directly usable
any more.

I'm adding many <!-- @todo --> comments in the XML file. We expect parts
of the guide to be rewritten once their respective tickets are done
(e.g. start/stop after #3422 script is implemented).

I've removed a lot of sections that were related to BIND10 framework.

The guide is now split into a number of XML files, rather than one large
XML. I think it will be easier to maintain, as finding something in 7k
lines file was increasingly awkward.

Thoughts? Comments?

Tomek