Running Kea without BIND10/Bundy framework

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Wed May 21 13:11:52 UTC 2014

On 21.05.2014 14:05, Marcin Siodelski wrote:
> One additional note about this file: doc/examples/kea6/several-subnets.json
>
> Current configuration mechanism doesn't provide a default set of
> required parameters. The old configuration (through BIND10 control
> session) provided some basic parameters like renew-timer etc. based on
> the .spec file. The new configuration mechanism should at some point
> provide similar functionality.
Oops. I missed that.

> For the time being, apart from the parameters specified in the example
> JSON file (renew-timer, rebind-timer etc.), there is one extra parameter
> (actually a map) that needs to be specified to make the server operate:
>
> "lease-database":
> {
>     "type": "memfile"
> }
>
> Without this, the server will complain that the lease manager hasn't
> been selected, because it doesn't know whether to use Memfile, MySQL or
> Postgres. The tricky part is that the server will actually start and
> output this error message once the first Request (or Solicit) from a
> DHCP client comes in.
Ok, so there should be some code that verifies that the database is
actually available. This requires a separate ticket, I think.

> I think, this example should be updated. And, the separate ticket should
> be filed to provide some default configuration set if not specified in
> the config file.
Yes, absolutely. I just used that config for myself during tests and
thought that it may be useful. Also feel free to add more examples if
you think it is useful. Dibbler is being shipped with over 40 config
examples. I find such approach quite useful, especially when we start
getting questions from users "how do I do X?".

Tomek