[kea-dev] Pool usage monitoring in Kea ?

Chaigneau, Nicolas nicolas.chaigneau at capgemini.com
Fri Nov 14 13:43:29 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm looking into the possibility to monitor the pools usage in Kea, more specifically for a "memfile" back-end.
For dhcpd, we've been using an external tool: dhcpd-pools (http://dhcpd-pools.sourceforge.net/) which works by parsing dhcpd config and lease files.
This tool is used at regular time intervals to produce reports in a log file.

This could be ported to support Kea, but I wonder if there could be a better way ?
For one thing, dhcpd-pools has to parse the lease file, and this is quite slow for very large lease files.

Would it be possible to use Kea hook API to provide this functionnality ?
I've seen the "lease4_select" hook which seems interesting. Do you think the "subnet4collection" argument could be used to check how many leases are currently allocated for each pool, and report the information ?

Or any other suggestion on how to achieve this would be very welcome :)

Regards,
Nicolas.