[kea-dev] Requirements for the Logging and Diagnostics in Kea

Marcin Siodelski marcin at isc.org
Thu Apr 9 16:09:07 UTC 2015

On 09.04.2015 13:16, Stephen Morris wrote:
> Comments on the logging requirements:
>
> 1) Requirement 6: I suggest that MUST should be a SHOULD. Knowing the
> number of leases is nice, but not essential.

Ok. Changed as requested.

> 2) Requirements 9, 11: suggest that something be included to note that
> the logging of messages is controlled by the configuration.  As it is
> currently worded, it appears to be mandatory for Kea to output log
> messages in all cases.

Ok. Added some explanatory sentence at these requirements.

> 3) Requirement 23: I'm not sure this is needed.  If the code is written
> to as not do something in an RFC-compliant way, that should be
> documented in the administrator's manual.  If the reason for
> non-compliance is due to a configuration setting, that should be
> documented as an effect of setting the configuration item.

I tend to agree. So I removed the requirement.

> 4) I suggest that we include requirements to dump the contents of
> incoming and outgoing packets (if requested) to a file in binary format.
>   This will be outside the normal logging mechanism, but a packet trace
> could be useful in some diagnoses.

I agree that this is a useful one. But, do we really want to include it
for 0.9.2 as a requirement? Perhaps tag it as SHOULD, rather than MUST,
and treat it as a stretch goal?

Marcin